I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Homemade Spinach Gnocchi

This fabulous WW recipe was passed along to me by my fabulous college roommate, Peggy. She raved about it, so I figured I'd give it a shot tonight. I found some Classico pasta sauce in Spinach Florentine that paired really well with it. And my Two-Buck Chuck, of course.

The gnocchi came out much softer and larger than traditional ones, but they were damn tasty nonetheless. They're creamy and rich and quite filling. The recipe says to use a tablespoon of dough for each gnocchi, but I found that to be a bit larger than I like, so I used about 1.5 teaspoons (or 1/1 Tablespoon, same thing).


Ingredients
  • 1 bunch spinach, stems removed
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, extra
  • 1 cup canned tomato sauce (I used jarred, as mentioned above)
Directions

1. Microwave or steam spinach until just wilted. Squeeze to remove excess water and chop finely.

2. Combine spinach, 1/2 cup of flour, cheeses and bread crumbs in a bowl. Toss a tablespoon of mixture in extra flour and form into an oval. Repeat with remaining mixture to make 36 gnocchi.

3. Add gnocchi to a pot of simmering water and simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes. Gnocchi is cooked when it floats to surface. Remove gnocchi from pan using a slotted spoon. Drain and keep warm.

4. Heat sauce in microwave. Serve drizzled over gnocchi.


No comments: