I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Moroccan Brewat Rolls

We have very fond memories of our first vacation to Disney World, after dating for just 3 months. This was our favorite appetizer at Marakesh in Epcot, and I finally found a recipe that tastes exactly like the real deal! They're super easy to make and quite impressive to look at. Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 8 sheets Phyllo dough
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 1 ounce chopped coriander
  • 1 ounce chopped parsley

Mix above ingredients and brown. Add:

  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 pinch ginger
  • 1 pinch saffron
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, whipped
  • 1 ounce oil

Directions

1. Add to beef and herb mixture, cook fully, then cool.

2. Take one sheet of phyllo dough and brush half of it with butter. Fold sheet in half, brush with more butter.

3. Place a small amount of the beef mixture (my phyllo was turned with the short end facing me) towards one end of the dough. Fold up sides of dough like you're making a burrito and roll the dough and beef into an eggroll shape.

4. Place on a greased cookie sheet and cover with damp paper towel until all rolls are complete. Brush all rolls liberally with melted butter.

5. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until brown and crispy. Let cool 2-3 minutes before eating. We sprinkled them with a powdered sugar & cinnamon mixture before eating and it really added to the flavor.

Yield: 8 rolls.

We used a sushi mat to help make the Brewat Rolls more even looking.

Final product, after using the sushi mat, before being baked.

Topping with some powdered sugar and cinnamon.

No comments: