I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Spicy Garlic Lime Pasta with Chicken

A little bit spicy, and a lot garlicky, this dish was really good. I marinated the chicken overnight and it was so flavorful and tender. The sauce takes about 10 minutes on medium low to thicken, so be patient. The end result is well worth the wait! And when you add the marinade to the pan, don't do what I did and second guess the recipe. I thought it looked like too much liquid, so I only used half. Bad decision, it would've been so much better with all the marinade! And make sure your pasta has some ridges for the sauce to cling to. My penne was smooth, no ridges or anything, and the sauce just slid right off.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1.5 tbls lime juice
  • 1 tsp corn starch
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp dried parsley
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 tbls butter
  • Few drizzles of olive oil
  • 8 oz pasta (I used whole wheat rotini)
  • 1-2 cups broccoli florets
  • Optional - Parmesan cheese for topping
Directions

1. Mix all marinade ingredients (chicken broth through parsley) together in bowl or ziplock bag. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and toss into the marinade. Let chicken marinate in fridge a minimum of one hour (I marinated mine overnight).

2. Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. During the last 5 minutes of pasta cook time add the broccoli into the boiling water. Drain.

3. Meanwhile, heat butter and olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Remove chicken pieces from marinade (setting marinade to the side) and place in heated pan. Cook chicken until no longer pink. Pour the marinade into the pan with the chicken and bring to a simmer. Let simmer until thickened.

4. Toss cooked broccoli and pasta with the chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired and serve.


This recipe originally from Krashed24's blog.

1 comment:

Ally said...

Love the presentation! I really have to try this recipe soon!