- 3 eggs
- 1/4 pound bacon (I used Bacon Bits instead of real bacon)
- 1 pound spinach, rinsed and chopped
- 1-1/2 ounces croutons
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh mushrooms (I used peppers and scallions instead)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup white sugar (I used about 1/4 cup sugar and it was fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons cider vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
1. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover completely with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, and cool. Once cool, peel and chop.
2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
3. Prepare the dressing in a blender by combining the onion, sugar, salt, oil, vinegar, pepper, celery seed and Dijon mustard. Blend until smooth.
4. In a large salad bowl, combine the eggs, bacon, spinach, croutons and mushrooms. Toss to mix. Pour enough dressing over salad to lightly coat. Toss and serve.