I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Salsa Chicken

It seems like everybody has their own version of Salsa Chicken. I read a few different ones, and just sort of threw mine together. It was super easy and very tasty. The chicken was really moist and adding the onions to the slow cooker at the end made them wilt just enough to get rid of the hot raw flavor.

Ingredients
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1/2 jar salsa (I used medium spice)
  • 1/2 red pepper (or any color pepper you'd like), thinly sliced
  • a few very thin onion slices
  • flour tortillas
  • cheese
  • 1/2 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 T taco or Cajun seasoning
Directions

1. Place chicken and salsa in slow cooker for 4-6 hours until thoroughly cooked. Drain excess liquid from slow cooker. Using 2 forks, shred chicken.

2. Add taco/Cajun seasoning, thinly sliced peppers and onions to chicken mixture. Return slow cooker to heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until vegetables are slightly wilted. Mix in 1/2 can black beans, stirring well to combine all ingredients. I also added another few spoonfuls of salsa to make it a little more wet.

3. Serve in tortilla shells and top with Mexican blend cheese.

** Variations**
You could also add fresh/frozen corn, cilantro, lettuce, cabbage, pinto beans, etc to your tacos. Get creative and use whatever's left in the fridge!

No comments: