I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Easy Lemon Chicken

This is originally a Kraft Foods recipe that I clipped from somewhere. It's quite tasty, not too lemony, and overall, a nice change from our typical chicken dishes.

Make sure you use
GELATIN and not PUDDING. I made the mistake of using lemon flavored pudding and the sauce was REALLY starchy and thick. It tasted ok, but the texture was bad. Really bad. Don't make the same error I made!

I also added some broccoli I had laying around -- I think any veggies would work well in this dish, so use whatever you've got in your fridge.


Ingredients
  • 1 T oil
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 cups snap or snow peas
  • 1/2 small red pepper, cut in thin strips
  • 3/4 package (4-serving size) lemon flavored gelatin
  • 1 T cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup chicken broth
  • 1.5 T Italian dressing
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
Directions

1. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 4 min or until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add peas and peppers; cook and stir 2 min.

2. Mix dry gelatin mix and cornstarch in small bowl. Add broth, dressing and garlic; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add to skillet. Reduce heat to medium; cook 3 min or until sauce is thickened, stirring frequently.


3. Serve over hot cooked rice, if desired.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

This is on the menu for tonight in Rochester!! I can't wait to try it.