This dish is saucy and cheesy and just really hearty. Took about 20 minutes to prepare, so on a late work night like yesterday, it's a great dish to prepare. This recipe uses ricotta cheese, which is a great alternative to high fat heavy cream. You really can't taste the difference and it's much better for you.
- 6 ounces fettucine
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped (I used 1/8 white onion instead of shallots)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes (I used the Italian spiced ones for added flavor. I ended u putting the whole 15 ounce can in, as we like saucy-ness! Drain the tomatoes though to avoid a runny sauce)
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, pureed
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
1. Cook the fettuccine according to package directions. Drain, and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a nonstick saucepan, then add shallots. Saute until softened, then add garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in the spinach and tomatoes and cook until spinach wilts.
3. Add ricotta to sauce and mix thoroughly. Add fettuccine to spinach and cheese mixture and toss to evenly coat. If sauce is too thick, add 1-2 Tbsp hot water and stir. Sprinkle with pepper and serve.