I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Kung Pao Chicken

Another WW recipe from the Take Out Tonight cookbook. This is a great spicy chicken dish and would work well over white rice, brown rice, or even pasta. I made it with white rice. If you have more veggies laying around, add them! The recipe only calls for bamboo and broccoli, but it'd be great with string beans, carrots or peppers.

Ingredients
  • 3/4 chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce (found in a small jar in the Asian foods aisle at the grocery store)
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons oil
  • 2 chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch cubes
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons minced ginger (I used ginger powder and it was fine)
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 4 cups broccoli
  • 1 8-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained
Directions

1. Combine the broth, soy sauce, honey, chili-garlic sauce, cornstarch and sesame oil in a small bowl; set aside.


2. Heat a nonstick wok or a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Swirl in the oil, then add the chicken. Stir-fry until no longer pink in the center, about 6-8 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the scallions, ginger, and garlic; stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli florets and bamboo shoots; stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add the broth mixture and the chicken. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 1 minute.

No comments: