I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pork Chops with Yams and Peaches

This is a very Fall-esque dish, but it sounded tasty, so we made it anyway! Justin LOVES sweet potatoes, and anything having to do with them, so I knew this would be right up his alley. And we had a can of peaches in the cabinet from a prior roommate, so it was just a good way to use them up and make something new and different. I loved the flavor of the dish. The sweet potatoes and peaches go well together and made for a sweet, but not sticky sweet, sauce.

However, we are not fans of pork chops. The cut is just too tough for our liking. So next time, I'd probably make it with a tenderloin chop or something a little more tender. It was still juicy and flavorful, but just too tough.


The recipe is from WW, Cook It Quick and was super easy to prepare. The original recipe called for pears, but also said you can substitute pineapple or apricots in place of the pear, so I used that can of peaches we had laying around.


Ingredients
  • Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon flour
  • 1 Tablespoon curry powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 pork loin chops
  • 1 15oz can yams in light syrup, drained
  • 1 15oz can peach slices in peach juice, drained (reserve 1/2 cup of juice)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
Directions

1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. In a large sealable plastic bag, mix the flour, curry powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Add the pork and shake to coat.

2. Transfer the pork to the skillet; saute until cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side.

3. Meanwhile, cut the yams into bite-size chunks; add to the pork with the peaches, reserved peach juice, thyme, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes; uncover and simmer until the pork is cooked through, about 2 minutes longer.


No comments: