I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Thai Chicken Ramen

So delicious! This is one of the better Ramen dishes I've made. Again, budget friendly, full of vegetables, chicken and lots of flavor. I used the Creamy Chicken Ramen because I wanted to add a little extra body to the sauce. I think a regular Ramen might taste OK, but the sauce would probably be too thin.
1 Chicken breast - 50 cents
2 packs of ramen - 25 cents
1/4 onion - 20 cents
2 green onions - 20 cents
1/2 red pepper - 25 cents (2 for a dollar)
1 carrot - 20 cents
2 Tablespoons peanut butter - 50 cents
1 Tablespoon cilantro - 5 cents?
Total cost - Approximately $2.15

Ingredients
  • 1 chicken breast, cut into small chunks
  • 2 packages Creamy Chicken flavored Ramen
  • 1/4 onion, sliced
  • 1/2 red pepper, julienned
  • 1 carrot, julienned
  • 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • 1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
Directions

1. In a large nonstick skillet, add 1 Tablespoon oil and heat over medium high. Add chicken and cook thoroughly. Add onion, red pepper and carrot to pan and cook 3-5 minutes until tender.

2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to rapid boil. Add Ramen noodles with seasoning packet and cook 3 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the noodles or they become soggy.

3. Drain noodles, reserving about 3/4 cup liquid. Add peanut butter, soy sauce and brown sugar to noodles, mixing well to combine. Add noodles to pan with chicken and vegetables and stir. If too much liquid remains, bring saute pan to a boil and simmer 3 minutes until liquid evaporates.

4. Remove pan from heat and add green onions. Stir to warm the onions. Top with chopped cilantro and hot sauce, if desired.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! I altered it a little bit- no carrot but brocoli instead. I think it could have used less Ramen-chicken flavor. Other than that, this was an EXCELENT recipe! Thanks for sharing it, Jamie!

-Claire, from mark.

Anonymous said...

I tried out this recipe tonight and it was great! I altered it a little bit, though- no carrot but brocoli instead. I think it could have done with a little less chicken Ramen flavoring and a little more soy. It was a great recipe, all in all. Thanks for sharing!

-Claire, mark. boards