I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Friday, April 4, 2008

Root Beer Cookies

As Justin continues to work 16 hour days in front of the computer, feverishly writing his thesis, I continue to bake random goodies that I think will keep his spirits up. His all time favorite flavor is root beer. So I made my basic sugar cookie recipe, but substituted root beer flavoring for the vanilla extract. They actually came out pretty well! Not a super strong root beer flavor, but they definitely leave an aftertaste of root beer. He liked them, so I guess that's all that matters with this recipe!

Ingredients
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons root beer flavoring
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, baking soda and powder in a bowl.

2. Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and flavoring, mix to combine. Slowly blend in dry ingredients. Mix just until flour is absorbed, being careful not to overmix.


3. Using a cookie scoop, place rounded scoops onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on pan 10 minutes before moving to wire rack.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

These sound amazing, I don't like root beer but, DH sure does!

Anonymous said...

That's really interesting, I've never heard of root beer cookies before. Thanks for sharing them with us!