I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Honey Carrot Cake

Got this recipe from a friend of mine. Using half honey and half sugar gives the cake a sweet flavor without being too sweet. If you are a huge fan of honey, you can actually substitute (1:1 ratio) honey for the granulated sugar in the recipe.

Ingredients
  • 6oz all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 5.3 oz canola oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 4.63 oz honey
  • 4.63 oz granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5.75 oz carrots, shredded finely
  • 1.3 oz walnuts, chopped
Directions
  1. Sift dry ingredients into medium sized bowl.
  2. Whisk eggs, honey and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy/foamy.
  3. Gradually drizzle in oil until incorporated.
  4. Add dry ingredients to whipped egg mixture and mix just until combined.
  5. Add carrots and walnuts, folding by hand until incorporated.
  6. Place 2 pounds of batter in a parchment lined 9" cake pan, and bake about 40 minutes at 365 degrees, or until skewer comes out clean.
I usually end up with a little bit of extra batter, which I use to make cupcakes or mini bundt cakes.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients
  • 1 8oz package of cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Directions
  1. Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add butter and vanilla, and mix for 2 minutes, until well combined.
  2. Slowly add in powdered sugar and beat until fluffy consistency.
  3. Use immediately or keep well covered in refrigerator.
This is a very traditional cream cheese frosting. It's not overly sweet and has more of a cream cheese taste to it than sugar. If you prefer something sweeter, you may want to double the powdered sugar.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I have a giant bottle of honey that is taking forever to use so I love that this recipe uses honey! Thanks for sharing and it looks delicious :)