I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Black Bottom Goat Cheese Cupcakes

So I subscribe a fantastic cupcake blog, titled "Cupcake Project." The creativity that Stef has is just unbelievable! This girl can make any ingredient into a cupcake. And I find that fun! So being a goat cheese addict like myself, I decided to try her recipe for Black Bottom Cupcakes with Goat Cheese. They may sound a bit weird, but they're delicious! The goat cheese bakes into a puffy, creamy, cheesy goodness that makes these cupcakes perfect just as they are. No frosting necessary. I did have to make a few ingredient changes, just because I didn't have yogurt or unsweetened chocolate on hand. But they still turned out perfectly!

Ingredients
Cake

  • 2 C flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 3/4 C butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/3 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 C plain yogurt (2/3 C buttermilk)
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1/3 C milk
  • 5 oz baking chocolate, melted (15T cocoa + 5T butter)
Goat Cheese Topping
  • 8 oz goat cheese
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Whisk flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium-sized bowl.
  2. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs, yogurt, vanilla, and milk until blended.
  4. Alternately fold in flour mixture and melted chocolate, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
  5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
  6. In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the goat cheese topping.
  7. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the topping onto the center of each cupcake.
  8. Bake at 350 F for thirty minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.
Still in the pan...cooling.

Ready to eat!!

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Oooh I need to try my hand at baking with goat cheese in sweet recipes! This looks great!

The Rambler said...

Yay! Now I know what to do with all the goat cheese sold here! Now, just to bribe an Embassy friend to give me some chocolate chips! LOL! Thanks Jamie!!!

Stef said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the recipe! I'm also happy to see that you adjusted it to use ingredients you had on hand - that's what I always do. Happy baking!