I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, December 7, 2009

Chili

It's a cold and snowy night, which means it's perfect for chili and cornbread! It seems like every time I make chili, I use a new recipe. Some are good, some are great, and some are pretty damn worthless. But this one, is delicious! It's easy, quick, very chunky, spicy and pretty much perfect.

I did make a few changes, as per the suggestions of fellow readers on Allrecipes, and added 2 links of pepper/onion pork sausage. My changes are noted below. The chili starts off pretty thick, so it's great for a weeknight when you only have a few hours, vs. an entire day to let the chili thicken up. We served it with a side of
cornbread, of course! And that recipe is also below.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound lean ground beef (I used 1 lb ground beef, and 1/2 lb pepper/onion sausage)
  • 1 (23 fluid ounce) can tomato juice (I used 23oz tomato sauce)
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce (I used a 15oz can of diced tomatoes, drained)
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 cups canned red beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
Directions
  1. Place ground beef & sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and put back in pan.
  2. Add all ingredients to a large kettle. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

No comments: