I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Spaghetti with tomato and artichoke

Everyone raves about the Pioneer Woman, so I decided it was time to check out the blog and start cooking. It's been a long time since I've meal planned and actually cooked dinner. With my hectic work schedule, and being pregnant & exhausted, dinner seems to get pushed aside and usually ends up being pasta of some sort, frozen something or other, or lettuce.

This dish seemed really easy to make, and it contained pasta, which is a "must have" for me these days, so we decided to give it a try. Very tasty! But don't substitute soy milk for heavy cream. Our sauce was on the watery side, instead of the thick and creamy side. Still tasted good though. And it'd be great with some grilled chicken added, and a green salad on the side. I made it exactly as the recipe stated, except for my soymilk substitution.

Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • ½ whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
  • 1 can Artichoke Hearts (14.5 Oz. Quartered Or Whole) Drained
  • 1 can Diced Tomatoes With Juice (14.5 Oz.)
  • 1 cup Heavy Cream
  • ½ cups Chicken Broth (More As Needed)
  • ½ teaspoons Nutmeg
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 1 pound Thin Spaghetti
  • 1 cup Parmesan Cheese, Freshly Grated
  • 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chives (or Other Herbs) Chopped
Directions
  1. Cook spaghetti till al dente. Drain and set aside.
  2. Melt olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. Add artichoke hearts and tomatoes. Stir and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cream and chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste (do not undersalt!) Cook over low heat until heated through, then turn off heat.
  4. Place drained pasta in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1 cup Parmesan. Pour sauce over the top. Add chives. Toss lightly to combine and coat; add a tiny bit of reserved pasta water if sauce seems too thick.

1 comment:

v哲方 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.