I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, July 30, 2007

Asian Noodles with Veggies and Pork

This recipe is a Weight Watchers recipe, from "Simply Delicious," page 77. Rice noodles can be found in the Asian section of your grocery store, usually near soy sauce and Thai foods. You can substitute angel-hair pasta or vermicelli, but they require a bit more cooking.

This recipe needs something...more soy sauce, maybe some fish sauce, or cayenne, I'm not sure exactly what. The noodles were perfectly cooked, as was the pork and veggies, but it was lacking in taste. Smelled fantastic though, which is what's baffling. I'll definitely try it again, but I'll be upping the spice mixture. More heat, more garlic, and maybe some onions as well. Overall, it was good, but not great.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 T cornstarch
  • 2 T low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 tsp vegetable/olive oil
  • 1/2 lb pork tenderloin, sliced crosswise and cut into thin strips
  • 2 tsp ginger
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 of a 7-ounce package thin rice noodles
  • 8 cups hot water
  • 1 (1/2 pound) head cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced (I used broccoli instead, as I am not a fungus lover!)
  • 2 carrots, finely chopped (I used red pepper instead)
Directions

1. Whisk together the broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil in small bowl.

2. Heat 1 tsp oil in large nonstick skillet or wok, over high heat, then add pork. Saute until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in ginger and garlic. Saute, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute; transfer to a bowl. Wipe skillet clean.

3. Meanwhile, plunge the noodles in the hot water. Let stand 10 minutes; drain.

4. Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in skillet, then add cabbage, mushrooms, and carrots. Cook until cabbage begins to wilt and veggies are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the pork mixture and the broth mixture; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Stir in the noodles.

Serves 4


Nutrition Information - 5 points
232 calories, 6g total fat, 1g sat fat, 36mg cholesterol, 358mg sodium, 28g total carb, 3g fiber, 16g protein, 51mg calcium

No comments: