I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Sweet & Sour Pork

Best served with brown rice, this sweet and sour pork is a quick and easy variation on an old classic. Marinate the pork the night before to speed up cooking time and enhance the flavors.

Originally from Weight Watchers, Cook it Quick!

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 2 tsp packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 pound boneless lean pork loin, cut into small chunks
  • 1 red pepper, seeded and cut in strips
  • 3 scallions, sliced
  • 1 cup drained, canned pineapple chunks (save the juice!)

Directions

1. Mix hoisin, brown sugar, soy sauce and ginger in medium sized plastic container. Add the pork. Refrigerate for several hours, or overnight, turning occasionally.

2. Heat large nonstick skillet or work. Add oil. Stir-fry bell pepper and scallions until softened. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.

3. Add pork to skillet, reserving marinade. Stir-fry pork until browned, about 3 minutes. Add marinade, pineapple and pineapple juice (I use about 1/2 the juice in an 8 ounce can of pineapple).

4. Stir-fry until pork is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Return vegetables to skillet and heat to serving temperature, about 2 minutes. Serve over brown rice.

No comments: