I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Pasta with Kale and Sausage

This dish works best with Rotini, Farfalle or any other "short" pasta (linguine, spaghetti, etc don't work well with this dish). I had never cooked with kale before this dish, and have now found that I love the taste and texture of it. The recipe calls for turkey sausage, but I've also made it with turkey kielbasa, chicken sausage and regular sausage. The turkey sausage will lower the fat and cholesterol in the recipe and you won't really notice the difference in taste, from the real deal.

This recipe is originally from Weight Watchers, Cook it Quick!

Ingredients
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded green bell pepper (or red, yellow, orange, whatever you prefer)
  • 3/4 pound Italian-style turkey sausage, casings removed (I usually use spicy sausage instead of mild. Spicy gives this dish the kick that it's otherwise missing with mild sausage.)
  • 1 bunch kale, cleaned and chopped (don't chop it too small as it will wilt when cooking)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (I get the Italian style with added basil and garlic)
  • 1/2 pound pasta shapes
Directions

1. Spray nonstick skillet and set over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper and sausage. Saute, breaking apart the sausage with a spoon, until the vegetables are tender and the sausage is browned.

2. Add the kale in handfuls, stirring as each batch wilts. Add the water, then cook, partially covered, until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and heat the mixture through.

3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and put in serving bowl. Add sauce and toss to combine.

No comments: