I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Thai Chicken

I got this idea from one of our favorite dishes at the local Thai restaurant, and sort of recreated it on a whim. The coconut milk makes the sauce almost buttery and really silky smooth. Great when served over white rice or wide vermicelli noodles.

Ingredients
  • 1-2 tsp oil
  • 1/2 onion, cut into 1/4 inch wedges
  • 3/4 cup light coconut milk (I used regular coconut milk, because I think the light is a bit too thin)
  • 1/2 tsp red curry paste
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tsp fish sauce
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 red pepper (I roasted mine, or you could purchase a jar of pre-roasted peppers)
Directions

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion until lightly brown. Add coconut milk, curry paste, black pepper and chicken. Stir together and bring to a simmer.

2. Cook an additional 8 minutes until chicken is done. Stir in cilantro, fish sauce, salt and red pepper. Heat 1 minute and serve over rice.

No comments: