I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Turkey Burgers & roasted potatoes

Tired of ground beef, I decided it was time for a change. I work with a girl who swears by ground turkey -- she uses it in EVERYTHING. So I figured we'd give it a shot. The turkey is much more moist than ground beef, but the burgers grilled up tender and juicy. Totally delicious!

Ingredients
  • 3/4 lb ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • fresh garlic (I used 1 Tbsp of "cheater" garlic)
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • dash of Teriyaki sauce
Directions

1. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Form into patties and grill to perfection. I did mine on a George Forman grill and they took 5 minutes to cook up.

Roasted Red Potatoes

Ingredients:

  • 3 red potatoes
  • 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
Directions

1. Slice potatoes into thick wedges, evenly sized. Coat with olive oil. Mix spices together, pour over potato wedges and coat evenly.


2. Heat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan. Once it's just barely smoking, add potatoes to pan and fry 2 min on each side until crispy. Reduce heat to medium low and partially cover. Cook an additional 10-15 min (depending on thickness), stirring frequently, until potatoes are soft and tender.

No comments: