I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Black Bean & Sausage Soup

This is another WW recipe, from "Take Out Tonight." It's been unseasonably cool here in Southern California, so I got the urge to make soup. We served it with a side salad, topped with fat-free ranch dressing mixed with hot sauce. Great, hearty meal for a cold and rainy night.
4 WW points per serving
Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage
  • olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 jalapeƱo peppers, seeded and minced
  • 3 (15.5 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions

1. Spray a large nonstick saucepan and set over medium-low heat. Add sausage and cook until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a plate. When it's cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.

2. Heat the oil over medium heat in the same saucepan, then add the onion, garlic and jalapenos. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the beans and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the flavors are blended, about 8 minutes.


3. Transfer 2 cups of the bean mixture to a blender or food processor and puree. Stir the puree and the sausage into the soup. Simmer, uncovered, until the soup is heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the cilantro and serve.

No comments: