I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Chinese Beef with Broccoli

This is one of my FAVORITE take out dishes from the local Chinese hole-in-the-wall down the street. I've tried on several occasions to recreate the sauce, so I was super excited to try the recipe in the WW Take-Out Tonight cookbook. So delicious. Sweet, saucy, and totally yummy. I served this over white rice and it tasted just like the real deal.
4 WW points without the rice

Ingredients
  • 3/4 pound beef top round, cut into thin strips
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
  • 2 Tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon dry sherry (I didn't have any, so I omitted this)
  • 1 pound broccoli crowns, cut into florets
  • 2 tsp oil
  • 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger, or 1.5 teaspoons ginger powder
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
Directions

1. Combine the beef with 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch; toss well to coat and set aside. Combine the remaining 1 Tablespoon cornstarch, broth, oyster sauce, honey, soy sauce and sherry in a small bown; set aside.

2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add the broccoli and cook until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes; drain.

3. Heat a nonstick wok or a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Swirl in the oil, then add the beef. Stir-fry until just cooked through, 3-4 minutes; transfer to a plate.

4. Add the ginger and garlic to the wok and stir-fry until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 1 minute. Add the beef and broccoli and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.

No comments: