I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Roasted Sesame Pork & Garlic Broccoli

For Hanukkah, I got a fabulous new cookbook. Weight Watchers, "Take-Out Tonight." I was hoping for some great Chinese food recipes, Thai and Italian, and this book definitely delivers. Tonight I made a Thai Sesame Pork and paired it with some Chinese Garlic Broccoli. Both dishes were excellent!

Roasted Sesame Pork
Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp ginger powder
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1lb pork tenderloin
  • 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover roasting pan with foil.

2. Combine soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger and garlic in bowl. Pat the pork dry with paper towels, then add to soy mixture and turn to evenly coat.


3. Place pork in roasting pan; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Roast to 160 degrees, about 20 - 25 minutes. Transfer pork to carving board and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.


Broccoli with Garlic Sauce
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons oyster sauce (found in the Asian section of most grocery stores)
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 cups broccoli, cut into florets
Directions

1. Combine broth and next 5 ingredients (through sugar) in small bown; set aside.

2. Heat nonstick wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, then garlic. Stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens, about 1 - 2 minutes.

No comments: