I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Another dish from the WW Take-Out Tonight book. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite cookbooks in my collection! This sauce can be used over shrimp, pork, chicken, scallops, duck breast and so much more. It's very versatile.

Ingredients
  • 4 chicken breasts cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, or 1.5 teaspoons ginger powder
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I used red pepper)
  • 1 8-ounce can pineapple chunks in juice, drained
Directions

1. Combine chicken with 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch in a medium bowl; toss well to coat and set aside. Combine remaining 1 Tablespoon cornstarch, water, vinegar, sugar, ketchup and soy sauce in a small bowl; set aside.

2. Heat a nonstick wok or a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Swirl in the oil, then add the pork. Stir-fry until almost cooked through, 2-3 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the bell pepper and pineapple; stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the vinegar mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens and the pork is just cooked through, 1-2 minutes.

No comments: