I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Beef and Broccoli with Oyster Sauce

I'd made a WW Beef & Broccoli dish in the past, which was close to the "real deal" but seemed like it was missing something. This recipe comes from Cooking Light's "Low-Fat Ways to Stir-Fry" and it's a dead ringer for our favorite takeout restaurant's version of the same dish.

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon dry sherry (I omitted this, and didn't replace it with anything)
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 2 teaspoons sugar (I omitted the sugar entirely)
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 pound lean flank steak (I used top round)
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sugar (again, I omitted this)
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup diagonally sliced green onions
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 6 cups fresh broccoli flowerets (about 1 pound)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 6 cups cooked rice
Directions

1. Combine first 6 ingredients, stirring well; set oyster sauce mixture aside.

2. Trim fat from steak. Slice steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons sugar in a medium bowl, stirring well; add steak, stirring to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes.


3. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok until hot. Add steak mixture; stir-fry 2 minutes. Remove steak from work; set aside. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, green onions and gingerroot to wok; stir-fry 30 seconds. Stir in broccoli and 1/4 cup water, cover and cook 3 minutes.


4. Return steak to wok, and stir in oyster sauce mixture; stir-fry 2 minutes or until thickened. For each serving, spoon 1 cup beef mixture over 1 cup rice. Makes 6 servings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks really good! I will definitely be trying it. Thanks!