I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Indonesian Pasta

Yet another fabulous dish from Cooking Light's, "Low-Fat Ways to Stir-Fry." We loved the peanut sauce and spiciness of the dish. I would double the peanut sauce next time, as it was slightly dry, but the flavor was definitely a hit. My recommendation is to double all ingredients from the chicken broth through the cumin.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 Tablespoon reduced-fat creamy peanut butter
  • 1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1.5 teaspoons minced onion
  • 1 teaspoon seeded, minced serrano chile pepper (I used Sriracha hot sauce instead)
  • 1/8 teaspoon brown sugar ( I omitted this)
  • dash of ground cumin (I used about 1/4 teaspoon)
  • 1/4 pound fresh asparagus spears
  • 2 Tablespoons julienne-sliced sweet red pepper (I used the whole pepper)
  • 3 tablespoons green onion (I used 2 stalks of green onion)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 ounced capellini, uncooked
  • Asparagus spears for garnish
Ingredients

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Set aside; keep warm.

2. Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Remove scales from stalks, if desired. Heat wok at medium-high, then add asparagus and red pepper; stir-fry 3 minutes or until tender. Add green onions; stir-fry 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in parsley.

3. Cook pasta according to package directions. Place pasta in a serving bowl. Add peanut sauce and vegetable mixture; toss gently. Serve warm, garnished with additional asparagus spears, if desired. Yield 2 servings.

No comments: