I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cauliflower Garlic Mashed Potatoes

This recipe came from a girl in one of the recipe exchanges I participate in. Not sure where got it from, but it's darn tasty! I figured it would be healthier than regular potatoes, and because yellow cauliflower was on sale this week, this recipe was added to the menu pretty quickly. The texture is great -- they really do taste like mashed potatoes!

Ingredients
  • 1 medium head cauliflower
  • 1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry chives, for garnish
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Directions

1. Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.

2. Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.

3. In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, chicken base, and pepper until almost smooth.

4. Garnish with chives, and serve hot with pats of butter.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful! I'm another one always looking for budget-friendly meals these days, too and appreciate ALL your wonderful postings. Took a peak at your Gersheybars, too -- they sound delicious. Good luck with your business!

Carrie said...

I made this tonight, we loved it. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I went looking for a Thai ramen recipe and found your blog. It's wonderful. Please keep it available until I can try out some (if not all) of your recipes. I've never seen a cupcake cake before.