I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Asian Noodles in Satay Sauce

This is a Weight Watchers recipe, from Cook it Quick. The recipe is really versatile -- just use whatever veggies you have on hand, or grab a few bags of frozen veggies for a super quick meal. You could also add chicken or pork to it or change out the noodles. Very tasty, and super easy to make. I added freshly sliced onions also, and just steamed them with the broccoli until they were opaque and tender.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 carrots, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 cup snow peas
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 6 oz fettuccine
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 small red pepper, seeded and sliced
Directions
  1. Bring 1/4 cup of the water to a boil in a skillet. Add the carrots, broccoli and mushrooms, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are just tender, about 4-6 minutes. Add snow peas, scallions, ginger and garlic. Cook, uncovered until the snow peas soften.
  2. Meanwhile, cook the fettuccine accord to package directions, drain.
  3. Combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, honey and remaining 1/4 cup water in a bowl. Stir into the vegetables. Add the bell pepper and the fettuccine, toss to coat, and serve.

This recipe has been submitted to Blogger Joelen's Chef Spotlight: Health Conscious Chefs, who's blog can be found here.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great recipe! I love that it's from WW and you could even submit this to the upcoming Chef Spotlight Dinner event where we're highlighting healthy recipes including WW! Details are in my blog's left sidebar - I'd love to feature your blog in the upcoming round up!