I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Coconut Curry Chicken Soup

With the recent ice and snow hitting the DC area, I decided it was time to start making some warm, hearty soups for dinner. Something about snow and wind makes me crave hot soup and bread, so I turned to Cooking Light (Dec 2008) and found a delicious recipe for Coconut Curry soup. It's definitely filling, with the chicken, spinach and pasta.

This definitely has a long list of ingredients, but it makes about 8 servings, so it'll last a while.


Ingredients
  • 4 cups water
  • 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
  • 1/2 pound snow peas, trimmed and cut in half
  • 1 5.75oz package pad thai noodles
  • 1 T canola oil
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
  • 2 tsp red curry paste
  • 1 1/2 curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 6 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
  • 2.5 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 2 T sugar
  • 2 T fish sauce
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 4 small hot red chiles, seeded and chopped
  • 7 lime wedges
Directions
  1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add spinach and peas to pan, cook for 30 seconds. Remove vegetables and place in a large bowl. Add noodles to pan; cook 3 minutes. Drain; add noodles to spinach mixture in bowl.
  2. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; saute 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth to pan, and bring to a boil. Add coconut milk to pan; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken, onions, sugar, and fish sauce to pan; cook for 2 minutes. Pour chicken mixture over noodle mixture in bowl. Stir in cilantro and chiles. Serve with lime wedges.

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmmm - now this looks so comforting and I love the flavors used in this!

Joy Through Cooking said...

I made this recipe recently too (big backlog of stuff to blog though...). LOVED it! The leftovers made for a great lunch on these cold winter days :)

gaga said...

Mmm, I love coconut curry. Turning it into a soup is just more of a great thing!