I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Friday, February 6, 2009

Pork Tenderloin & Goat Cheese Smashed Potatoes

Yet another 2 recipes from Cooking Light -- November 2008 edition. Costco has such a wonderful deal on pork tenderloins, we always have at least 1 in the freezer. So I'm always on the lookout for new recipes that use pork tenderloin, which is one of our favorite cuts of meat. This recipe is so quick and easy, it's a great recipe for weeknights when you're short on time. Full of flavor, easy to cook, and goes well with just about any side dish you might have on hand. I chose to pair it with the Goat Cheese Smashed Potatoes, which is also a quick and simple dish.

Paprika Spice Rub
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 2 T salt
  • 2 T ground cumin
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • 2 T chili powder
  • 2 T ground black pepper
  • 1 T garlic powder
Combine all ingredients; store in airtight container.

Pork Tenderloin with Paprika Spice Rub
  • 1 tablespoon Paprika Spice Blend
  • 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
  2. Rub Paprika Spice Blend over pork. Place pork in a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 500 degrees for 20 minutes until it reaches 155 degrees.
Goat Cheese Smashed Potatoes
  • 3 pounds peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 T butter
  • 3/4 cup goat cheese
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 T chopped fresh chives (I used green onions instead and thinly sliced them)
Directions
  1. Place potatoes in saucepan and cover with cold water to 2 inches above. Add 1/4 tsp salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 min or until tender; drain. Return the potatoes to pan over low heat; add remaining 1 tsp salt and butter to pan. Mash potatoes until desired consistency.
  2. Add cheese and pepper to potato mixture; stir until cheese melts. Stir in milk; cook 1 min until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in chives.

No comments: