I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fresh Linguine with Spicy Red Clam Sauce

This weekend we found an incredible deal on a pasta roller/cutter, so we decided it was about time we ventured into making fresh pasta. Linguine was the first thing we made, and what better sauce to pair it with than spicy red clam sauce! Yum. The clam sauce is from Cooking Light, and the fresh pasta recipe is from AllRecipes.

Fresh Pasta
Ingredients
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons water
Directions
  1. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the flour, add the slightly beaten egg, and mix. Mixture should form a stiff dough. If needed, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons water.
  2. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for about 3 to 4 minutes. With a pasta machine or by hand roll dough out to desired thinness. Use machine or knife to cut into strips of desired width. I kneaded the dough in a KA stand mixer. Had to add about 1/4 cup of water though, in order to bring the dough together.

Spicy Red Clam Sauce
Ingredients
  • 1 (9-ounce) package fresh linguine (or make your own, like we did!)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 (6.5-ounce) cans minced clams, undrained
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Directions
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. (For our fresh pasta, we let it dry for about 5 hours, then boiled it for 4 minutes to al dente.)
  2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Stir in tomato paste and tomatoes; cook 4 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in clams; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in parsley, basil, and oregano. Serve with pasta.

1 comment:

Mrs. McInerney said...

I made this for my husband last year and he loved it. He said it was the best he's ever eaten, even at a restaurant. He's talked about it so much since. I'm making it again tonight and hope I can do it again. No pressure, lol. Thanks!