I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Ina Garten's Espresso Ice Cream

We were making a cake at work last week that called for about 40 whites. With nothing to do with the yolks, I decided to bring them home and make ice cream! First on the list was Ina Garten's Espresso Ice Cream. We're huge fans of Alton Brown's ice cream, but this recipe is slightly different. Next time, I'd definitely double it, since the recipe doesn't make very much (about 1 quart). It's quite espresso-y though and delicious. Creamy, velvety, and packed full of flavor.

**Quick Update** After eating a few bowls of the ice cream, it still tastes delicious, but the consistency is a bit icy. I think I'll go back to my tried and true Alton Brown recipe, as it's got a much creamier texture. Nice try Ina, but Alton's got you beat!

Ingredients
  • 3 cups half-and-half
  • 6 extra-large egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons ground espresso coffee beans, decaffeinated or regular
  • 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur (recommended: Kahlua)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 4 ounces (1/2 cup) chocolate-covered espresso beans, chopped
Directions
  1. Heat the half-and-half until it forms bubbles around the edge of the pan and steam starts to rise. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the egg yolks, sugar, and salt until mixed. Slowly add the hot half-and-half until combined. Wipe out the pan and pour the mixture back into the clean pan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon (until it reaches 170 degrees), for 5 to 10 minutes, until it's thickened and the cream coats the back of the spoon.
  2. Pour the cream through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. Add the ground espresso beans, coffee liqueur, and vanilla and refrigerate until completely chilled.
  3. Pour the espresso cream into an ice-cream freezer and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Mix in the chopped espresso beans, spoon into a container, and allow to freeze for a few hours. Soften slightly before serving.

No comments: