If you're a fan of German Chocolate Cake, you will love these cookies! They taste just like the cake, but are much easier to eat. The frosting actually gets put on the cookie BEFORE baking, so once they're in the oven, there's no frosting, no decorating, nothing but enjoying the wonderful cookie.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup milk choc chips
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan
- 1/4 cup chilled butter
- 2 egg yolks beaten
1. Add butter and chocolate chips in a small pot over medium low heat. Stir until melted and smooth.
2. In a bowl, mix sugar and eggs. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla.
3. Stir melted choc until it's warm, but no longer hot. Add to mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
4. Add flour and mix well. Dough will be stiff and a bit crumbly. (I did this in my KA mixer and it was a lot easier than by hand!)
5. Cover dough and set aside while you make frosting.
6. Combine sugar and coconut in food processor. Mix with steel blade until coconut is in small pieces.
7. Add chopped pecan. Cut butter into 4 chunks and add to processor. Process until butter is in small bits.
8. Separate yolks, place in small dish and whip with fork. Add to processor bowl and process until thoroughly incorporated.
9. Preheat oven to 350 with the rack in the middle position.
10. Chill frosting while oven preheats. It will make it easier to work with (I put it in a piping bag first, then in the fridge to chill).
11. Use cookie scoop to make 1 inch balls, or use a tablespoon to make them this size.
12. Place balls on greased cookie sheet, 12 to a standard sheet. press in the middle of each cookie to make a small indentation (dip thumb in water so it doesn't stick to dough).
13. Pipe small amount of frosting in each indentation (maybe 1 to 1.5 tsp of frosting per cookie)
14. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes
15. Cool on sheet for 2 min and move to wire rack to finish cooling.
yield 5 dozen** Photo coming soon **