I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Moroccan Meatball Stew

This meal definitely has a homecooked feel to it, but it's a little bit fancier. The flavors are rich and bold and the texture is really nice. They'd make a great appetizer if you made smaller ones and served with a toothpick.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 pound ground veal
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro
  • 2.5 tsp paprika
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 tbsp chopped parsley for garnish

1. Combine beef, veal, 1 tbsp of cilantro, 1.5 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper in a large bowl. Shape into 24 one-inch balls (I use a cookie scoop for this, so they're nice and even).

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet. Add oil, onion and garlic. Saute until softened, 3-5 minutes. Stir in tomato, tomato paste, water, 1 tbsp cilantro, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper; bring to a boil. Add meatballs, reduce hat and simmer covered, until meatballs are cooked and sauce thickens, about 30 min. Garnish with parsley before serving.

We served it with egg noodles, though couscous or a vegetable medley would also work nicely.

** photo coming soon **

No comments: