I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Thai Chicken with Ginger Sauce

Not sure why, but we've been on a Thai food kick for a few weeks now. I have become obsessed with cilantro and can't get enough of it! Tonight's dish, from WW "Simply Delicious," is a bit tangy and ever so sweet. Not spicy at all, but a really nice blend of flavors. The cilantro contrasts with the vinegar to make a unique sauce that I really can't describe.

I served it over rice-stick noodles. To cook those, place the noodles in a pot of boiling water. Remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes. Drain, and add to pan of chicken/veggies.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 (1/2 ounce) package dried wood ear mushrooms
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (I used beef broth b/c that's all I had)
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon fish sauce
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 8 scallions cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1/2 pound sugar snap peas (I used red bell pepper b/c the peas at the store this week were brown and mushy!)
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Directions

1. Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the dried mushrooms; remove from the heat and let stand 20 minutes. Drain the mushrooms; coarsely chop and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, whisk together the broth, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch and fish sauce in a small bowl; set aside.


3. Heat the oil over high heat in a large nonstick skillet, then add the chicken. Saute until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.


4. Return the skillet to the heat, then add the scallions, ginger, and garlic. Saute until fragrant and the scallions have softened slightly, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, chicken, snap peas and broth mixture; bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until heated through and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Serve with rice-stick noodles or over brown rice.

No comments: