I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Unfried Chicken

In my attempts to eat more healthy, I've been trying a lot of baked chicken dishes instead of pan frying them. This one is made with cornflakes and is supposed to taste like fried chicken. Does it? Not really. But it's still really good! The cornflakes add a really nice crunch to the outside of the chicken and a slight sweetness that's very tasty. The original recipe is from WW "Simply Delicious" and we served it with a side salad.

When we baked it, the bottom of the chicken came out a bit wetter than I'd prefer. Next time, I think I'll bread the chicken in the cornflakes, then put on a cookie sheet over a baking pan and bake that way. This will eliminate the chicken sitting in juices and coming out soggy.


Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup reduced-calorie mayo
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 drops hot pepper sauce (I added much more, as we prefer spicier food)
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 3/4 cups cornflake crumbs
Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a pyrex baking dish with nonstick spray.

2. Whisk together the mayo, mustard, lemon zest, salt and pepper sauce in a large bowl. Add the chicken, toss to coat. (Use a paper towel to dry the chicken before dipping in the sauce, otherwise it will just slide right off.)


3. Place the cornflakes in a large plastic zip-top bag. Use a rolling pin to roll over the cornflakes until they are crumbly like bread crumbs. Add the chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat.


4. Place the chicken in the baking pan. Bake until golden brown and cooked through (do not turn) about 40 minutes.

No comments: