I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Chinese Velvet Corn Soup & Grilled Cheese

It's been a bit cool in So Cal these days...somewhere in the 50's during the day and even colder at night! Bbrrr... :) So tonight we decided to make the traditional soup and grilled cheese for dinner. But instead of tomato soup and grilled American cheese, we chose Corn Soup and Grilled Pepperjack on Sourdough. Kick it up a notch, if ya will. The soup is from WW "Simply Delicious" and was really good. Very reminiscent of egg drop soup but the added spinach and corn was a really nice touch. The soup takes about 7 minutes to prepare, and grilled cheese cooks at the same time, so this is a hearty and filling dish in under 10 minutes!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (I just 1 can)
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 14.5oz can cream-style corn
  • 2 cups torn fresh spinach leaves, or 1/2 (10 oz) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
Directions

1. Combine the broth, soy sauce and sesame oil in a medium saucepan; bring just to a boil.

2. Slowly pour in the eggs, stirring constantly with a fork to form shreds of egg. Stir in the corn and spinach. Simmer until heated through, 3-5 minutes.


Meanwhile, put 2 slices of pepperjack between some sourdough, throw it on the George Foreman grill, and by the time the cheese gets all melty, the soup will be ready!

No comments: