I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday Mornin' Flapjacks

This recipe comes from a unique cookbook called, "Retro Breakfast" and is one of several books in the "Retro" series. The specific recipe is called, "Ritzville, Washington's Wheat 'Cakes" and it's probably the most authentic tasting pancake recipe I've tried. Super easy to make and they fluff up really nicely in the pan. We halved the recipe for 2 of us and it was plenty -- made about 6 giant sized pancakes.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 egg yolks, beaten
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 Tablespoons melted butter (not shortening)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 egg whites, beaten fluffy (I beat them to a medium peak)
Directions

In a large bowl, beat together the milk, egg yolks, flour, sugar, salt, butter, and making powder. Beat into a smooth batter. Fold in egg whites. Cook on a lightly greased griddle (I used a nonstick skillet, with plenty of butter on medium high).

A little blurry, but Justin wanted his skills to be shown off. He is the master pancake flipper -- no spatula required.


This is the cookbook I used, and those are my Valentine's Day tropical flowers!

1 comment:

Ruth Strong said...

i love breakfasts like that!